Rams apply for move to L.A.: This Could Be The End

0
128

ST LOUIS• After nearly two years of speculation, the St. Louis Rams have finally, officially applied to move to Los Angeles.

The National Football League confirmed receipt of the application late Monday. The Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers also submitted a proposal.

The Rams, in a two-sentence statement, said only that the team informed the NFL of its proposal to relocate “to the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area” for the 2016 season.

The moves have long been expected. Rams owner Stan Kroenke bought land in Los Angeles County two years ago, and announced last year his plans to build a new stadium there. The Chargers and Raiders quickly followed suit, with plans for a two-team stadium in Carson, Calif.

Still, the official applications are momentous. The NFL has been absent from the country’s second-largest market since the Rams and Raiders left in 1994. League officials have worked hard to get a team moved this year.

And the end may be in sight: Key NFL owner committees are meeting Wednesday and Thursday in New York City to review the two applications, plus competing proposals to keep the teams in each hometown. The league’s full ownership is taking up the issue again — for the sixth and, perhaps, last time in a year — next week in Houston. Several owners have said they hope to finally vote on one of the plans.

The owners, in their decision, will lean on a six-page list of NFL relocation guidelines.

The outcome may mean an end to football in St. Louis. The city has already lost one team — the Cardinals to Arizona in 1988. Many speculate that, if the Rams leave, St. Louis won’t land another.

Dave Peacock, co-chairman of Gov. Jay Nixon’s stadium task force here, cautioned on Monday against overreaction. “This is part of the process,” he said. “It was fully expected. Thankfully, this process hopefully plays itself out by the end of next week.”

He said the task force will consider sending to the NFL a formal response to the Rams’ relocation filing.

The Raiders also released a short statement late Monday confirming the team’s submission.

Chargers owner Dean Spanos, however, commented at length on his decision, posting a video, a transcript and a statement on the team website.

“We have tried for more than 14 years, through nine separate proposals and seven different mayors, to create a world-class stadium experience for fans in San Diego,” Spanos said in the statement. “Despite these efforts, there is still no certain, actionable solution to the stadium problem. We are sad to have reached this point.”

NFL staff declined to discuss the details of the proposals received Monday, saying via a statement that “each team submitted the appropriate documentation in support of its application,” as required by NFL policy.

The teams had already largely unveiled their plans to the public.

Kroenke has proposed a privately funded $1.9 billion stadiumset among more than $2 billion in shops, offices, town homes— even a 6,000-seat theater — at the old Hollywood Park Racetrack in Inglewood, Calif.

The Chargers and Raiders, on the other hand, have plans for a $1.8 billion football-focused facility just down the freeway.

In response, government officials in Oakland, San Diego and St. Louis all mounted proposals to build and finance new stadiums, in hopes they might keep their teams in town.

St. Louis’ $1.1 billion stadium proposal is the only local effort, however, to finish planning in 2015. Nixon’s task force had to sidestep a few potential requirements, including public votes in the city and legislative votes at the state capital, and may have a few still to fight. Still, late last month, it proposed a riverfront stadium built with $400 million in state and city money.

San Diego city leaders, on the other hand, told the NFL they need a public vote to secure public cash. And early plans for a real estate development in Oakland fell apart.

The decision now is in the hands of the league’s 32 owners. Three-quarters, or 24, have to approve any team’s move.

Owners will weigh the economic benefit to the league of each proposal. And they’ll compare those to a lengthy list of relocation guidelines, which include discussions of fan loyalty, previous relocations, previous tax incentives, club financial performance and stadium adequacy, among other issues.

Owners have also discussed charging a $550 million relocation fee per team, two sources close to the process confirmed on Monday. That figure, too, will require owner approval

 

ST LOUIS • Después de casi dos años de especulación, el equipo de St. Louis, Los Rams, solicitaron oficialmente trasladarse a Los Ángeles.

La Liga Nacional de Fútbol confirmó la solicitud la noche del lunes, 4 de Enero. Los equipos de los Raiders de Oakland y San Diego Chargers también presentaron una propuesta de translado.

 

Los Rams, en un comunicado de dos frases, se limitó a decir que el equipo informó a la NFL de su propuesta de trasladarse  “a la mayor área metropolitana de Los Angeles” para la temporada del 2016.

Desde hace tiempo se esperaba el traslado de equipo. El Propietario de los Rams, Stan Kroenke, compró tierras en el condado de Los Angeles hace dos años, y anunció el año pasado sus planes para construir un nuevo estadio allí. Los Chargers y Raiders rápidamente siguieron el ejemplo, con los planes para un estadio de dos equipos en Carson, California.

Aún así, las aplicaciones oficiales son trascendentales. La NFL ha estado ausente del mercado de segunda más grande del país desde los Rams y los Raiders  en 1994. Funcionarios de la Liga han trabajado duro para conseguir un traslado este año.

Y el final puede estar a la vista: los comités clave propietarios de la NFL se reunirán el miércoles y el jueves en la ciudad de Nueva York para examinar las dos aplicaciones, además de propuestas para mantener los equipos en cada ciudad natal. La plena propiedad de la liga está tomando el tema de nuevo – para la sexta y, tal vez, la última vez en un año – la próxima semana en Houston. Varios propietarios han dicho que esperan  votar finalmente en uno de los planes.

Los propietarios, en su decisión, se apoyarán en una lista de seis páginas de las directrices de reubicación de la NFL.

El resultado puede significar en el fin de fútbol en San Luis. La ciudad ya ha perdido uno de los equipos en 1988 – los Cardenales de Arizona. Muchos especulan que si los Rams se van, San Luis no traerá otro equipo.

David Peacock, co-presidente del grupo de trabajo del gobernador, Jay Nixon, advirtió el lunes contra una reacción exagerada. “Esto es parte del proceso”, dijo. “Se esperaba totalmente. Afortunadamente, este proceso con suerte se juega a cabo a finales de la próxima semana”.

Dijo que el grupo de trabajo tendrá en cuenta el envío a la NFL con una respuesta formal a la presentación de reubicación de los Rams.

Los Raiders también dieron a conocer en breve comunicado la noche del lunes que confirma la presentación del equipo.

El propietario de los Chargers, Dean Spanos, sin embargo, comentó extensamente sobre su decisión, la publicación de un vídeo, una transcripción y una declaración en la página web del equipo.

“Hemos tratado durante más de 14 años, a través de nueve propuestas separadas y siete alcaldes diferentes, para crear una experiencia estadio de clase mundial para los aficionados en San Diego”, dijo Spanos en un comunicado. “A pesar de estos esfuerzos, todavía no existe una cierta solución, accionable al problema estadio. Estamos tristes de haber llegado a este punto “.

Personal de la NFL se negó a discutir los detalles de las propuestas recibidas el Lunes, diciendo a través de un comunicado que “cada equipo presentará la documentación adecuada en apoyo de su demanda,” como lo requiere la política de la NFL.

Los equipos ya se habían dado a conocer gran parte de sus planes para el público.

Kroenke ha propuesto una financiación privada $ 1,900,000,000 conjunto con un estadio entre los más de $ 2 mil millones en tiendas, oficinas, casas de ciudad – incluso un teatro de 6.000 asientos – en el viejo Hollywood Park Racetrack en Inglewood, California.

Los Chargers y Raiders, por otro lado, tienen planes para un centro de fútbol centrada en $ 1,8 mil millones en la misma autopista.

En respuesta, los funcionarios del gobierno en Oakland, San Diego y San Luis todas las propuestas para construir y financiar nuevos estadios, con la esperanza de que puedan mantener sus equipos en la ciudad montados.

La propuesta de San Luis en construir un  de estadio de $ 1100 millones es el único esfuerzo local en el 2015. El grupo de trabajo de Nixon tuvo que dejar de lado una serie de requisitos potenciales, incluyendo los votos públicos de la ciudad y votos legislativos a la capital del estado, y puede tener algunos todavía para luchar. Sin embargo, a finales del mes pasado, se propuso un estadio frente al río construido con $ 400 millones en dinero del estado y la ciudad.

Líderes de la ciudad de San Diego, por su parte, dijo a la NFL que necesitan una votación pública para asegurar dinero público. Y los primeros planes para un desarrollo inmobiliario en Oakland se vino abajo.

La decisión ahora está en manos de 32 propietarios de la liga. Las tres cuartas partes, o 24, tienen que aprobar la decisión de cualquier equipo.

Los propietarios deben pensar en el beneficio económico para la liga de cada propuesta. Y van a comparar los de una larga lista de directrices de reubicación, que incluyen discusiones de lealtad del ventilador, traslados anteriores, incentivos fiscales anteriores, el desempeño financiero del club y adecuación del estadio, entre otras cuestiones.

Los propietarios también han discutido el cobro de una cuota de reubicación $ 550 millones por equipo, dos fuentes cercanas al proceso confirmó el lunes. Esa cifra también requerirá la aprobación del propietario

 

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here