Tuesday , August 21 2018
  • English
  • Spanish
Home / Featured / World Cup Wednesday: the three most even games of the first round

World Cup Wednesday: the three most even games of the first round



In their game against Denmark, the Peruvians will look to maximize their chances of advancing to the knockout stages.

The kick-off to the 2018 Russia World Cup is tomorrow and with it, all the expectations and aspirations from fans and players from all over the world will be met and crush during the month-long tournament.

The group stage has some very attractive games –for example, Spain vs Portugal right off the bat on Friday– but the stories for the first round will probably go as planned for the most part, as the football giants have been evenly placed out among the groups.

Brazil, Germany, France, Spain, Argentina and Belgium are all expected to coast through to the knockout stages, where the real drama will begin. However, if the last two World Cups are any indication, there will be one major flop and the target could be the Germans as both Italy and Spain have gone out in the group stage of the World Cup where they went in as reigning champions.

This looks hardly the case, though, as the Germans have been given a relatively easy group that they are expected to top. Many experts, though, don’t expect the German side to reach the final, though they have been reached at least the semifinals of every major tournament since they hosted the World Cup in 2006.

With that being said, it is the underdogs who will try to make the most of the group stage not only to get out of the group but maybe even top it, avoiding an unfavorable crossing in the round of 16 and maximizing their probabilities of going deep into the quarterfinals.

The Google World Cup schedule has installed in a “win probability” feature into each of the games of the first stage, giving each team a probability to win as well as a draw probability for the match. After reviewing the 48 games that make up the group stage, we have identified the three most even games that will prove crucial for the teams’ hopes of advancing to the next round.

First off, it’s Peru vs Denmark on June 16. The two teams share group C with France and Australia. The French are expected to collect all nine points and top the group, but the playing field is wide open for either of the remaining three to capture the second spot. Australia are a famously tough opponent in World Cups, Peru have qualified for the first time in decades, and the Danish side come into the tournament inspired after qualifying in spectacular fashion and beating Mexico 2-0 in their last friendly. Since France is expected to beat Australia in the first match of the group, the winner of the Peru vs Denmark match will see their probability of advancing greatly increase, and the loser will see theirs diminish. Google gives a 30% win probability to Peru, a 30% probability of a draw, and a 40% win probability to Denmark.

Mexico vs Sweden will likely determine which of the two national sides goes on to the next round.

The most-even game of the tournament game comes in Matchday 2 of 3, when Nigeria faces Iceland in June 22. The two teams share Group D, which has been dubbed this competition’s “Group of Death”, with Argentina and Croatia. Again, Messi-led Argentina are expected to top the group –though they barely qualified and have been very inconsistent– and even though Croatia is largely believed to make second, the Nigerian and Icelandic sides may not have many stars, but they are one of the best integrated teams in the tournament.

Both teams’ likeliest path into the round of 16 is through a loss with Argentina, a draw with Croatia and an ample win at this match, so they advance on goal difference. Expect a high-scoring, very offensive game from two very spirited sides. Google gives a 38% win probability to Nigeria, a 30% probability of a draw, and a 32% win probability to Iceland.

In Matchday 3 of 3, comes the second toughest game to bet on, according to Google, when Mexico clashes against Sweden in what everyone expects to be the battle for the second spot of the group. The third game is usually the toughest of the group stage, particularly for competitive sides like these two teams, who are used to qualify but usually lose to the giants in the knockout stages. By now, most groups, if not all, will have one team qualified, and in the case of Group F that is expected to be Germany.

Both Mexico and Sweden also share the group with South Korea but logic says that they will both beat the Asian side, who could very well go home with zero points. Even if the group delivers an unlikely scenario where Germany, Mexico and Sweden are in contention for the top two spots, this match has the added bonus of looking to secure the first place and avoid playing Brazil in the round of 16, as they will likely top their group. Google gives a 39% win probability to Mexico, a 30% probability of a draw, and a 31% win probability to Sweden.

 

 

 

 


Miércoles de Mundial: los tres juegos más parejos de la primera ronda

 

En su juego contra Dinamarca, los peruanos buscarán maximizar sus probabilidades de avanzar a las eliminatorias.

El inicio de la Copa Mundial de Rusia 2018 es mañana y con él, todas las expectativas y aspiraciones de los fanáticos y jugadores de todo el mundo se cumplirán y aplastarán durante el torneo de un mes.

La etapa de grupos tiene algunos juegos muy atractivos, por ejemplo, España vs Portugal el viernes, pero las historias para la primera ronda probablemente irán como se planeó en su mayor parte, ya que los gigantes del fútbol se han ubicado equitativamente a lo largo de los grupos.

Se espera que Brasil, Alemania, Francia, España, Argentina y Bélgica avancen hasta las etapas eliminatorias, donde comenzará el verdadero drama. Sin embargo, si las dos últimas Copas Mundiales son una indicación, habrá un gran fracaso y las víctimas podrían ser los alemanes, ya que tanto Italia como España han salido en la fase de grupos de la Copa del Mundo donde entraron como campeones reinantes.

Sin embargo, este no parece ser el caso, ya que a los alemanes se les ha dado un grupo relativamente fácil que se espera que encabecen. Muchos expertos, sin embargo, no esperan que la escuadra alemana llegue a la final, aunque ellos han alcanzado al menos las semifinales de todos los torneos importantes desde que organizaron la Copa del Mundo en 2006.

Con eso dicho, son el resto de las selecciones las que tratarán de aprovechar al máximo la fase de grupos no solo para salir del grupo, sino incluso para encabezarlo, evitando un cruce desfavorable en la ronda de 16 y maximizando sus probabilidades de llegar hasta los cuartos de final.

En su calendario de la Copa Mundial, Google ha instalado en una función de “probabilidad de ganar” en cada uno de los juegos de la primera etapa, dando a cada equipo una probabilidad de ganar y una probabilidad de empate para el partido. Después de revisar los 48 juegos que componen la fase de grupos, hemos identificado los tres juegos más parejos que resultarán cruciales para las esperanzas de los equipos de avanzar a la siguiente ronda.

Primero, es Perú vs Dinamarca el 16 de junio. Los dos equipos comparten el grupo C con Francia y Australia. Se espera que los franceses acumulen los nueve puntos y encabecen el grupo, pero el campo de juego está abierto para que cualquiera de los tres restantes capture el segundo lugar. Australia es un oponente durísimo en las Copas Mundiales, Perú se ha clasificado por primera vez en décadas, y el equipo danés entró al torneo inspirado después de la calificación de manera espectacular y derrotó a México por 2-0 en su último amistoso. Como se espera que Francia venza a Australia en el primer partido del grupo, el ganador del partido Perú vs Dinamarca verá aumentar sus probabilidades de avanzar en gran medida, y el perdedor verá las suyas disminuir. Google otorga una probabilidad de 30% de victoria a Perú, un 30% de probabilidad de empate y una probabilidad de 40% de victoria para Dinamarca.

Mexico vs Suecia seguramente determinará cuál de los dos equipos avanza a la siguiente ronda. 

El partido más parejo de la primera fase viene en la segunda jornada de 3, cuando Nigeria enfrenta a Islandia el 22 de junio. Los dos equipos comparten el Grupo D, que ha sido denominado el “Grupo de la Muerte” de esta competencia, con Argentina y Croacia. Una vez más, se espera que la Argentina dirigida por Messi encabece el grupo -a pesar de que apenas calificaron y han sido muy inconsistentes- y aunque se cree que Croacia estará en segundo lugar, los equipos nigerianos e islandeses pueden no tener muchas estrellas, pero son unos de los equipos mejor integrados del torneo.

El camino más probable de ambos equipos para la ronda de 16 es a través de una derrota con Argentina, un empate con Croacia y una amplia victoria en este partido, para avanzar por diferencia de goles con Croacia. Se espera un juego muy ofensivo y de muchos goles por parte de dos equipos muy enérgicos. Google otorga una probabilidad de 38% de victoria a Nigeria, un 30% de probabilidad de empate y una probabilidad de victoria del 32% para Islandia.

En la tercera jornada de 3, viene el segundo juego más difícil de predecir, según Google, cuando México choque contra Suecia en lo que todos esperan sea la batalla por el segundo puesto del grupo. El tercer juego suele ser el más difícil de la fase de grupos, especialmente para equipos competitivos como estos dos, que suelen clasificarse pero que generalmente pierden frente a los gigantes en las fases eliminatorias. Para este momento, la mayoría de los grupos, si no todos, tendrán un equipo calificado, y en el caso del Grupo F que se espera sea Alemania.

Tanto México como Suecia también comparten el grupo con Corea del Sur, pero la lógica dice que ambos vencerán al equipo asiático, que podría irse a casa con cero puntos. Incluso si el grupo presenta un escenario poco probable en el que Alemania, México y Suecia estén en disputa por los dos primeros lugares, este partido tiene la ventaja adicional de buscar asegurar el primer puesto y evitar jugar contra Brasil en la ronda de 16, ya que es casi seguro que los brasileños encabecen su grupo. Google otorga un 39% de probabilidad de victoria a México, un 30% de probabilidad de empate y un 31% de probabilidad de victoria para Suecia.

 

 

 

 


Check Also

Last known Nazi collaborator living in the US is deported to Germany

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »